Cruise Line Cook Book

All of us look forward to the wonderful meals on a cruise ship.  Has any one ever purchased a cruise line's cook book on board a ship?

Tags: cruise line cook book

17 Answers

I haven't purchased a cook book. The thought never really crossed my mind I guess. Will keep it in mind should we find one on the Carnival Breeze in January.

Both my son and I are very good cooks. I know for a fact that with the exceptions of a few dishes out there, we can duplicate most dishes. Dishes that we don't know , we make an effort to learn. So, No we won't be buying the cook books...... However. the Martini  or drink books. That's a whole different story.

Well, I got one but I certainly didn't buy it on the ship. I included some excerpts on a similar thread here out of the "Last Dinner on the Titanic"---"Menus and Recipes from the Great Liner". This book is not just about first and second class aristocracy dining, it includes menus and recipes from below decks in the third class dining saloon. A lot of recipes are for dishes extremely popular in France and the United States at the beginning of the twentieth century. A very good read.

Most folk don't realize it was a myth that White Star Line endeavored to build the Olympic Class ships in order to set ocean speed records. There was no hope of them doing so as Cunard, with their much smaller Lusitania and Mauritania were at least 7 knots faster than the Olympic or the Titanic could ever hope to achieve.

Rather, White Star built these ships for quality ocean travel which included third class (at one time prior was called steerage). The third class amenities and dining rooms on the Olympic and Titanic were better than that offered in many line's First Class service. The big money (profits) in ocean travel was from mass travel by immigrants not from high rolling first and second class guests. This book makes that quite clear, it looks to me like the meals and service on the Titanic for third class were superior to what we get nowadays in Main Dining Rooms.

It is true that the Titanic was sailing way too fast through the ice field. But that is attributed to Captain Smith and J. Bruce Ismay, CEO of White Star Line as well as President of International Mercantile Marine, White Star's parent, who both wanted to make New York on schedule the next morning or maybe even a little early. It is not true that third class passengers were gated or restricted from progressing up to the boat deck, at least there is no evidence of that. It is true that third class passengers didn't know what to do until it was too late, but it is also true that the crew and other passengers had no idea either. No boat drills for passengers, no emergency drills or life saving equipment including life boats and emergency gang way procedure training for the crew, etc. In short, it was a scene appropriate to the old cliche "When in trouble when in doubt, run in circles scream and shout."   I didn't get this info from the recipe book as I have a library on early transatlantic passenger vessels. http://cruiseline.com/forum/post/bringing-the-taste-of-cruising-home

I considered getting the Princess cookbook because the food on our last trip was so fabulous.  It's available at Amazon, so I opted to wait.

A long time ago, I picked up a CCL cookbook but never really used it.

A friend of mine got one on RCI,   has never used it.    For me,  I do more reservations then recopies.   Just not worth it to cook for one or two. 

I just got rid of a bunch of cookbooks I never used.  None were from cruise ships.  

I've never been able to follow a recipe. I always think, "how about this instead of that, or more of this and less of that". Usually (but not always) it turns out at least edible, sometimes actually good.

I am assuming that it calls for expensive ingredients, most of which I haven't a clue as to what they are (I take it that "Truffle Oil" is not the oily residue left from a small chocolateBig Smile?"

I really never use cookbooks anymore, I use Pinterest or the web for recipes. I don't think I will be buying one, just another dust collector at the house.

I have always been tempted since the books are also well illustrated but I knew that I would never make these fancy dishes once I returned home.  The book are expensive but if you enjoy cooking, they are worth it.  

I mentioned the Titanic cookbook but did not realize we have a high quality cookbook from our last cruise on Princess six weeks ago.

In my review of the Caribbean Princess I mentioned the "Chef's Table" extravagant evening dinner we had on that ship. There were many extras included in that meal, but one I forgot about until my wife was going through it this evening was the large book they gave us: "A Culinary Courses Journey" an acknowledgement by Princess to the dedication and hard work of its food and beverage department.

I'm salivating over the delicacies contained therein. She says though, that I should do the cooking.   

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.