Cost of excursions.

So having cruised with NCL in May, and having declined to pay just over £700 (two adults two children) for the Rome excursion, which would have seen us in Rome for no more than four hours, I was pretty sure I could go to Rome for four whole days for less money than NCL wanted to take us there for four hours. 

I have just booked return flights for four of us from London Stanstead, air port transfers to city centre Rome, and five nights in a four star hotel with inclusive breakfast every day, four miles from Rome city centre for just £655.

my question is, are NCL having a laugh charging £700 for four seats on a return coach journey from the port to Rome..?

Tags: Norwegian Cruise Line

13 Answers

I don't see any reason for a company "having a laugh" as you say. Excursions are offered for anyone who would like to take them, and booking with the Cruiseline assures the guests that they will get back to the ship on time. You have a choice whether to book them and pay the Cruiseline price, or not. If you feel they are over charging, then don't book the excursion. 

First time to a port, money doesn't matter for excursions, been to port before, we get real cheap

I get your point about it being offered and ensure you get back to the boat. But £700 for four seats on a return coach journey.?! That's £9000 for a 53 seater coach for the day. 

Do you really think theyre not having s laugh and exploiting peoples fears of not getting back to the boat on time..? 

Ship excursions are always expensive, but you know you will not be left behind if your late returning to the ship. They are also good for the first visit to a port for a good over view so next time if your comfortable to go it on your own. From the port to the city of Rome is a long bus ride, about 1.5 hour. I myself took a limo for I think 120.00 Euro from my hotel in Rome to the port and from port back to hotel after the cruise. The train station is close to the port and the train will drop you in the historic part of Rome to transfer to the subway system if you want to try that.

Just remember if your late returning to the ship, they can and will leave without you and it will be at your expense to get to the next port to get back on the ship.

i can live with 'expensive' but I thing over £9000 to put on a return 1.5hr coach journey Is well beyond 'expensive' and is verging on extortion, playing on the fear of being late back. I'm pretty sure if I was late back I could have got myself to tr next port for much less than £700. 

I declined their offer of £700 for a four hour excursion, and have booked myself flights and hotels for a 5 day visit for less than the £700, a few weeks later. 

[quote=paulusthemighty]

i can live with 'expensive' but I thing over £9000 to put on a return 1.5hr coach journey Is well beyond 'expensive' and is verging on extortion, playing on the fear of being late back. I'm pretty sure if I was late back I could have got myself to tr next port for much less than £700. 

I declined their offer of £700 for a four hour excursion, and have booked myself flights and hotels for a 5 day visit for less than the £700, a few weeks later. 

A week in Rome will be a great time.   It is my favorite city to stay in (a 4 hour visit is not enough).  The food,  the wine, the people,  the history and did I mention the FOOD ? I have visited Rome a few times and still want to go back.  The Sub way is a great way to get around the city but it gets very busy and crowded,  more then in London from when I was there.  The Pizza shop off the Cssto Pretorio subway stop just before Via Villafranca was great and the Gelato neat the Pantheon.  I gain a couple pounds just thinking of Rome.

Have a great 5 days. 

The choice is always yours.  Yes, the ship-sponsored excursions are always more expensive. 

"The choice is always yours.  Yes, the ship-sponsored excursions are always more expensive. "

Carnival Cruiseline has a guarantee - guests who find the same tour offered by another operator ar  lower price than their booked excursion are eligible to receive 110% of the difference in the form of shipboard credit. They are the only Cruiseline to offer this guarantee to their guests.

Princess also offers the 110% Happy

Maybe the website meant that all of the Ships under the Carnival umbrella offer the guarantee best price, which is a benefit for travellers who compare shop.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.