Changing my name before the Cruise?

Hi everyone!

I'm getting married on June 23, 2019 and we will be going on a RC cruise for our honeymoon (Sept 14, 2019). I've already asked this question on a wedding forum and thought some people might know even more on here from the cruising/paperwork side. Do you think it'd be possible for me to change my name within that time? With the recent changes for the process to get a new license/ID, they've accepted the temporary ID for my passport 2 years ago.

With that being said, do you think it would be possible to change my name before the cruise in September? Would I need to do anything with the cruiseline to change my name on the reservation? Or would that not be possible? Last day to make a payment is around the middle of June.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Tags: passport marriage name change paperwork documents

3 Answers

You should be able to change your name after your marriage (BTW, Congratulations!)

You will need to show legal documentation (marriage license) as to why your name is different than any identification you have.

With the length of time between your wedding and the trip, you should be able to get a new passport with your new (correct) name on it. If you are going with birth certificate and drivers license, you will also need your marriage license to show the reason for the difference in names between the two.

The last alternative would be to sail under your maiden name and keep the IDs you have now.

If you decide to change your sailing name, there should be plenty of time.

CONGRATULATIONS on the upcoming nuptials.

The possibility is there but it may all hinge on how fast the municipality you marry in issues the official marriage certificate. You should also check out how long it will take your DMV to issue a new DL after the MC is issued. You will have just shy of 12 weeks to get all the IDs name changed, but it the Department of Vital Statistics is taking 2 weeks or longer to process the MC then that leaves less than 10 weeks o get your other IDs changed. Passports are currently being processed in 6-8 weeks after receipt at processing office, as long as there is nothing irregular (like the wrong form # for the name change), You will also need to know the fine print of the booking terms the cruise was reserved under. Some cruise lines under certain certain rates do not allow a name to be changed (even if it is the same person on the initial res.), or charge an administrative fee to do so. Also some ports if you leave the gated area by means of anything other than a ship's sponsored tour, they now ask you for a photo ID to compare to the name on the ship's card before allowing you back in to the secured port area.

I know that for most newlyweds on honeymoon that it is preferable to go by the newly mint surname, but for the purposes of travel you might just be better off using the IDs you have now (provide they don't expire prior to traveling). Just like airlines, the cruise lines want the name on your photo ID to match the name on the booking or ticket. If they don't match you will need all the support documentation you would for the name change at the DMV or sent to the Dept. of State for a name change reissue of your passport.

When considering when you should get a new passport with you new name you may want to consider the circumstances for fees as listed at . If your current passport (book &/or card) will be less than a year old when the State Dept reviews you application for the name change there will be no charge to reissue the passport in the married name. If name change application won't be reviewed till the passport is older than 1 year, you will pay the renewal fee, so you might as well wait till it is closer to your actual renewal date.

​Congratulations on your upcoming wedding (on my birthday Wink). I completely agree with BDRebel, you should have enough time to change everything before your cruise. There may be a fee to change some of your ID or cruise booking, but it will be worth it to be able to use your new surname. My recommendation is to have a copy of your marriage certificate with you just in case you need it. Since your new legal name is changing, its best, in my opinion, to get everything changed as soon as possible, even if there are several years left on your current passport.

Wishing you the the happiest day filled with memories to last a lifetime.

* is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. is not responsible for content on external web sites.