If I want to gamble during my cruise aboard Carnival Dream, do I need to bring cash or can I use my ship and sail card and pay when I disembark? Also, does anyone know what kind of games are available besides the slot machines? Thanks, everyone!
Casinos aboard Carnival ships
You can do either, but using your card may incur extra charges.
all table games are available
They will take your donation both ways!
Here's the skinny on Carnival casinos which are run by Oceans Player's Club...
Cash is king but if the mood strikes you and you left your wallet in the cabin you have several options:
1) Pull money off your players bank, using your Sail-n-Sign card which is also you player's compcard. Once your account is set up on the slots or video poker any left over credits or downloaded winnings go here, no cash nor tickets issued. You can "withdraw" from the account directly to a different machine to play a few credits there or at the cage for hard currency. NOT available at the tables to directly buy chips, so first stop at the cashier for the cash then proceed to the table of your choice to purchase chips. Just remember to totally cashout on the last night of the cruise.
2) Request a transfer from your Sail-n-Sign ACCOUNT to your players bank. Very easily done by yourself at the slots and no fee either for this feature. BUT try to do so at the tables or the cage and you will be hit with a 3% convenience charge. Do note there is a $500 per day limit to funds being redirected this way.
3) Cash advance at the cage from a credit or debit card. Not a real popular choice as they will charge you a 5.5% (minimum of $5.50) cash advance fee on top of whatever other cash advance fees the card itself charge.
For the true high roller:
4) A pre-authorized line of credit with the casino. Prior to departure you can fill out a form online at the OPC's website, I believe the minimum is $5,000, and must be secured with additional financial info beyond a single bank or credit card account.
5) Also on the OPC website you used to be able to wire transfer funds, without providing too much financial info (just the account being transferred from), in the 1-4 weeks prior departure for a backstopped players account. NOT sure if this is still and option.
Thanks for the responses everyone and especially you, maryred, for all the detail!
If I gamble(which I do not...I have better things to do with my cash)on the ship, I would give money to the good looking table wipers on the lido deck and return I would get a smile rather than whistles and weird music the slots give you. Who knows you may hit the jackpot when the ship hits galveston. (I already know where the crew hangs out in galveston courtesy of my generousity on the lido deck)