Contributor Level: Purser

Carnival Age Requirements

Hi everyone,

I am going on Carnival Paradise on March 19th and we just found out today (the 16th) that there is an age requirement. One of our friends is 20 and none of us are 25; we were told he will not be allowed to go. If we can find someone to cross reference with our room, he can go. If anyone is going or knows someone that is going, please let me know. I've posted on every roll call I can find searching for someone to help. We've had this planned for months and are desperate; please help!

5 Answers

Contributor Level: Captain

I've never heard of restrictions for age on cruise ships, except for the booze and kids in adult areas. More information would be nice. Thanks

Contributor Level: Purser

Hi Johngold,

We hadn't either until yesterday. After looking over their website, it says minors must have someone over 25, then it goes on to say a minor is anyone under 21.However, the person doesn't have to be in the same room as you or related, they just have to have their room cross-referenced with yours if anything happens (which we would go out of our way to make sure nothing did). RC does not have a rule like this, so it didn't cross our minds to check into it.

The representative he booked with entered his age as being 26 and he saw it recently and changed it, so they are giving him a full refund, but I am still trying to find someone to help! As a side note, always check your booking, they never informed him he couldn't cruise and if he had not noticed his account was frozen, he would have gotten to Tampa and been denied boarding.

At least he got a full refund. The representative should have been able to explain the rules prior to booking, and should never have falsified his birth date (assuming it was on him and not someone else).

Was this booked directly with the line, or through a travel agent?

Contributor Level: Cruise Director

Here ya go John, right from Carnival FAQs:

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

• The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.
  • The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.
  • When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.
  • Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.
  • Minors Traveling as a Group: The policy is slightly different because of stricter group terms and conditions as follows:
    • Must have 1 chaperone for every 8 minors
    • Prepaid gratuities per minor are due at final payment
    • 8 or more staterooms must be booked through the Group Department and a $100 damage deposit per minor will be charged.  

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.