Balcony

Hi

Sorry to keep asking questions but I was searching for information about our first cruise. I booked early and had the choice of many cabins. I don't know why but I thought Lido Room 202 would be nice and quite and since the room was located high up the views would be better. Some Tripadvisor reports are beginning to make me regret this choice albeit they were years old. Many comments on the following

1.The cabin is to close to the bow and will be very ruff

2.The Balcony does not have a glass barrier and has a restricted view due to the barrier being made of metal

Has anyone experienced sailing on the Lido Deck. I might have time to request a change of cabin or do you think I am reading to much into the trip adviser and internet comments

Many Thanks

Tags: Princess Cruises Grand Princess

12 Answers

First timer cruisers should ask a lot of questions to help you get passed those unknown surprises you may encounter.

I'm strictly a balcony cruiser and only select a cabin in the middle of the ship and usually on 6 Deck or 7 Deck to help with the motion sickness I get. Another thing is if you experience any kind of motion sickness, I recommend the patch.

The glass barrier you mention I'm not sure of but I will say that the balcony wall is higher than you think and it's high enough to prevent accidentally falling over board. You have to literally climb over it. 

If it were me, I would seriously review the ships deck plan and look for a cabin more suitable to your liking.

Enjoy your cruise and be sure to come back post a review.

ctav

Balconies (in my opinion) are the only way to go. Not a fan of spending time in a closet. We love balconies and as ctav said we too prefer the midship ones. Fore and aft can experience a bit more motion but not as much as some may think. Also the higher decks will get more side to side motion than the lower decks. It be a matter of physics and where the pivot point is. As for barriers, well even the clear plexiglass knee walls are not good for viewing through. Salt spray tends to make them too white. In most cases you will be looking over the top of the knee wall anyway.Hope you enjoy your cruise. Cruising is the only way to go.

I agree with all of the above.  We try for mid-ship with cabins above and below.  If I could, I would always have a suite, but next best is balcony and that is the norm for us.  An advantage of Lido deck is the buffet is very near-by. You will have more movement in that cabin as has already been explained. I wear the patch when cruising (also when flying) because I am very motion sensitive.  That said, some of the sleep I've ever had is when the ship rocks a bit more than normal.Wink  Enjoy your first cruise.

We do like balconies. Never did an inside but have had lots of ocean view cabins over the years. Been there done that. On our cruises anymore, no balcony, no cruise.

I have no preference regarding which deck we are on as long as I can look directly down at the sea and the flying fish and not into other balconies below. Some balconies are much more private than others. Sometimes the partitions between balconies are more porous than solid. What to really watch out for, if you are into au naturel relaxing, is balconies that are set out from the ship allowing balcony occupants above to peer down upon you. One time I counted something like 17 balconies I could look into from our railing. But having others look into my balcony doesn't bother me as much as having to look into theirs.

We have no problems with motion sickness. We also prefer to be a little forward of mid-ship. We had a balcony similar to the one you have booked, a few cruises back, here is what I said about it: "The Princess Regal and Royal are the largest we have been on, the Regal was almost a new ship, it is delightful to enjoy a cruise on a vessel that has little wear and tear on it. We had a mini-suite again but this one was different in that it was forward facing with a huge balcony, about 200 Sq. Ft, billed as a premium mini. I had my doubts when we booked this as I thought it would be very windy. Not so, actually the flow of air up over the bow made this balcony more comfortable than those on the sides. I was also worried that they would lock the balcony doors once underway, not so either, our cabin attendant told me she had never heard of the forward facing balcony doors being locked shut. I was out there every day. The mini-suite itself was a little larger as well. But the sea days were real nice and we enjoyed our huge balcony immensely."

When on the side of the vessel I like balcony railings that are horizontal Iron rods, like in the old days, with the top rail of teak. That way I can sit on the balcony and receive a pretty good uninterrupted view of the sea. I don't care for the no railing types where they use Plexiglas. Usually you can't see much out of those without standing at the rail, forget sitting and watching the flying fishes play. Plexiglas, when new is okay, but usually it is clouded due U.Vs, or covered with salt spray making looking through it impractical.

Balconies come in all sorts of sizes, shapes, locations and conveniences. "Obstructed view balconies and ocean view cabins" usually means something is going to prevent you from having an uninterrupted wide angle view of the ocean. Probably means a life boat or part of one or portions of ship rigging create an eye sore of sorts. One time we had an obstructed view cabin. When we boarded, we found nothing of the sort, just a beautiful view. Unfortunately, minutes before we sailed, we found out what they were saying, the gangway was pulled and placed in front of our window. Ugg.

They say the average balcony size on the new vessels are about 9' by 6' or around 55 sq. ft. Those are okay. Some are much smaller and some much larger. Some balconies are so squished it is a joke to even call them a balcony. I like a balcony to be about 5' by 15'. If you have a mini-suite or a full suite your balcony size is commensurate with the additional size of cabin, usually. One good one was on the Royal Princess, at mid ship, we had a fairly long balcony that angled outward on a portion of it allowing views forward and aft when seated. 

I get asked quite often if I get sea sick why do I cruise?

My answer to them is  you don't cruise because if you do, you would not ask that question. 

BTW: thanks for the name change.Big Smile

We’ve never wanted a balcony because we ard rarely on the room- sleeping and changing for dinner are about all, so we book a porthole or ocean view. We enjoy the front of the ship on the lowest decks because the movement of the ship lulls us to sleep so nicely. 

Please be sure to let us know what your final choice is, and review  your cruise afterwards. 

As previously mentioned, no balcony, no cruise for us. However, much is said about taking a inside cabin or a limited view outside one since during the cruise you never use it except to sleep. Some wisdom to that, but, in today's cruising age there is something called a quarantine. Which means that if you come down with a plague or whatever, you are going to be quarantined to your cabin. They take care of you, food and all, but you don't get out of that cabin. If you get caught breaking the rules, off you go, maybe by helicopter which you pay for.    Anyway, in the unlikely chance you do catch the norovirus or something else and get "quarantined", do you really want to be stuck in one of those solitary confinement claustrophobic cabins instead of one with a nice balcony which you can spend the unpleasant hours of your confined stay out on? Of course not.    Anyway, back to reality, here is my version of an excellent balcony. Blinds pulled back you have a 180 degree view of the beautiful sea and all that it includes. Flu or not, bring it on, I love it out there.     

If you are prone to seasickness in bed, turn your body 90* so you are laying across the beds. This should help as you are rocking head-toe versus side - side.

always balcony deck 6 or 7 aft port side.  Don't have to walk far for food.  The rolling motioing of the ship makes us sleep good.  Seas a little rough, we do not feel the pitch at all

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.