article "8 Cruise Lines not to go cruising with in 2015"

I ran across this article on CNN's web page when I was looking up articles on the latest Norovirus outbreaks "http://www.destinationtips.com/cruises/8-cruise-lines-to-avoid-in-2015"  I thought you you guys may be interested in it.

Tags:

9 Answers

What an absolute pile of crap.  This article is inaccurate and unfounded, especially where there MSC is listed with what I believe is a photo of a Cunard ship.  Really?

Most of the comments were in support of the cruise industry.  Lindsay MacNevin is an irresponsible journalist. I don't believe she/he put in any due diligence in fact checking.  Sounds like someone petty who is looking to get free cruises... but is going about it in a very wrong way.

That is pretty bad reporting. Obviously no comprehensive analysis and research. Who is this "Destination Tips" anyway? I couldn't find any background or organization structure explanation anywhere.

It was an article that was on CNN web page for articles I may be interested in since I looked up the article on the latest outbreaks of Norovirus on ships.  I did not find any backing for the article, Using FOE (Friends of the Earth) as a source (would any environmental group line any cruise line?).  RCI may have had more outbreaks of Norovirus,  but they also have more ships and passengers then other lines.  To me it looked to be a fluff article by someone that is not into cruising.   

I just thought I'd put it out here for comments and thoughts.

I agree with Cruising CM, "crap". Flies in the face of so many excellent reviews and ratings for many of those lines, from real cruise line savvy evaluation interests too. Sounds like someone wanting to break into the travel game, wonder why CNN even carried it? Just goes to illustrate one has to be careful of these reviews, check and double check. For a chuckle, I dare someone to go over to C.C.'s Oceania site and post this. 

Well, that was certainly a well researched and documented impartial view of the cruise industry......... Make ones think they work full time for Mexican all inclusive resorts... You know the ones.....surrounded by barbed wire fences......armed guards.... security towers.

We have all heard about Norovirus, we know about the breakdowns, the man overboards the assaults, We do not live in a cocoon. Heck, Cruiselawnews is a far harsher critic, but will give credit where credit is due when required. I will not travel to Mexico based on what our External Affairs Dept. tells us. Nor will I travel to the Middle East, same concern.

I will cruise, knowing that if I follow hygiene rules, and take care overall, as well as keep my wits around me on excursions. I will be relatively safe.

As for the article---Again... must be a slow news day at CNN.

"Click bait" Nothing to see here, folks. Just move along.

OK I waded through the whole article .  The only good thing that I can say about it is that there were nice photos of the beautiful ships.  So to save everyone else a waste of time, you are told to avoid cruises on Costa, Oceania, Thomson, Carnival, P&Q, NCL, MSC, RCCL.  That leaves Princess and HAL of the mainstream cruise lines.  Glad I am on HAL next year.  Perhaps this line will make the list next year. 

While I was on HAL last year, we experienced a continued issue with the norovirus.  The line did everything that it could to stop its spread but it took several weeks to eliminate it.  I did not come down with it luckily.  I have been on several ships that has issues with the norovirus and so far have not come down with it myself. Princess has also had problems with the norovirus outbreaks too So even cruise lines that did not make the list can experience this problem.

Don't waste your time reading the article.  The writer just knocked out many of the major cruise lines.  As for me, I am going to continue cruising. 

The only thing I took seriously was the dangerous ports.  Norovirus has hit every line at some point or another.  It will hit the larger more popular lines more often just on the odds of # of passengers.  

I would have preferred a list of  dangerous ports.   But what I consider to be dangerous and others do can be two different things.   I felt fine getting off the ship in Baja Mexico where some people would not go into port that day.

The cruise lines to skip because of bad reviews,  that is also subjective as we have sceen 2 reviews of the same cruise where one person gives it 1 star and the next gives it 5 (though I have not scene a lot of good reviews of Thompson)

I posted it to get a conversation going........it did do that :-)

What a maroon.......

Norwegian has great customer service.  And using the words spacious cabins, and Royal Caribbean in the same sentence tells me this person has never been on a RC ship.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.