1st cruise

Going on my first cruise October 19th, very nervous.

Worried about seasickness too. Any tips?

Tags: Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas

8 Answers

In many cases, cruisers have avoided seasickness by getting a cabin on a lower deck in the middle area of the ship. There is less movement in this area.

Also, people claim that the seabands (wrist elastics that work via acupressure), ginger (pills, candy, ginger ale) and/or green apples. These are all drug free and relatively inexpensive (especially the green apples which you can find in the lido buffet).

A handful of people will need medication -- either a pill or a behind-the-ear patch. As with any medication, these may have the added "benefit" of side effects, especially drowsiness.

I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't suffer from sea sickness. My wife, though, will depend on seabands and green apples.

One thing to keep in mind is that many find the first sea day the stomach can be unsettled. Not upset or nauseous just unsettled. This will usually pass within 24 hours of sailing. Just a matter of getting your sea legs. Many find during this period that eating frequently and lightly helps. Also a drink helps but too many make it worse. Relax and enjoy.  

First, how exciting for you!  I'm sure you'll have a terrific time.  If you are prone to motion sickness, then you might want to be fully prepared.  I do not suffer from motion sickness--in fact i am that person who can read anything while traveling in a car.  But, just as OldGreyWolf stated, you can get an upset stomach on the first sea day.  That happened to me on our first cruise in 2010.  The crew were wonderful and suggested green apples and ginger ale.  The nauseous feeling went away after a day or two.  Since then, it has been smooth sailing.

Relax!!!! those suggestions are all valid...Im sure you already booked your cabin, so the next time you may want to consider a different location....besides..how dyou KNOW you'll get seasick...most of the time it happens once and never again....on the other hand, the weather is what it is...Ive been on ships where THE CREW was a bit green around the gills.  Besides...I'd bet money that on any given cruise from almost anywhere, 1/2 the passengers are newbies...the cruise lines make big bux on first timers...not sure what theyre doing or how, so they spend a lot more...

I use Bonine. I take it at night and start it 2 days prior to and 2 days after the cruise. Works for me.

Thanx all for your advice...73 days still to go

I remember those days...first cruise...I was nervous too.....now, I plan a few cruises ahead...totally addicted....there is no cure....not that I want one either.....

Here's some things to do before you sail. Make sure you place your mail on hold with the Postal Service or have a neighbor collect and hold your mail for you. A build up of mail in your mailbox is a flag for thieves that you aren't home. Do the same if you get home newspaper delivery. Do this no less than 2 weeks prior to your sail date. DO NOT post on social media when, where or how long your cruising. I know your excited (and rightfully so) about your cruise but posting on social media your cruise info is another flag to thieves your not home. There will be plenty of time to post the many pictures you will have and tell your stories when you get home. Inform your bank not to flag your account during your sail dates. Do this IN PERSON at your bank if you plan to use your credit or debit card during your cruise. Once you sail, if your bank flags your account you will have a tough time getting them to remove the flag (if they are willing to remove it at all) PLUS when you find out, you may be at sea! That happened to us...ONCE! Close the drains in your sinks as so no buggies come to visit when your not home. Last, clean your house before you leave. After being pampered on your cruise with no cooking or cleaning, last thing you want is to come home to a house you have to clean. ~Bon Voyage~

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.