August 2014 - Norwegian Getaway to Caribbean - Eastern
Nice balcony room (although this is suppose to be a larger ship, the balcony was not as large as my balcony room on the Carnival Victory--I found that interesting).
The Savor and Taste complimentary dining area is nice and elegant. the warm chocolate volcano dessert is a must for chocolate fudge, cake, ice cream and strawberry sauce lovers!
New ship with flat screen TV's in the rooms (a plus)
Osheehan's pub has great homemade chicken pot pie and great cheesecake.
Cons: Would not sail this ship again and here's why:
1. Family oriented ship for kids. It seemed like most of the activities and events for kids. Not a great choice if you don't want to step over strollers or little children. (I took the Aug. 30th cruise).
2. Disapointed in the atrium. There is a beautiful chandelier, but that's it. There are not glass elevators (like Carnival Victory). No wow factor in the way the inside of the ship looked. We didn't take pictures because the ship wasn't that impressive to us.
3. Norweigan wants to advertise their ship as having so many options of dining to choose from, but what they don't mention in their advertising is that mostly all the restaurants on the ship have a person additional surcharge of between $20-40 per person (not included in your cruise price). They list all the complimentary restaurants "taste" "Savor" as if they were two different restaurants people can choose from when they are not. They have the exact same menu and they are the same place. Don't be mislead by their advertising.
4. Norweigan Getaway charges a $3.95 fee for room service after 12am (Carnival doesn't do that) In an attempt to discourage passengers from ordering too late...how's that for service?
5. Norweigan Getaway charges $5 for a pizza
6. The buffet is not great...exotic menu to please different people (some might see this as a plus)
7. The music was not versatile. A lot of techno music only on the deck. We stayed in our room alot. Most of the entertainment were seminars, entertainment for kids only (Nickelodeon, Dora the explorer, spongebob--very kid oriented cruise) and instead of having a party, Norweigan wants to control the atmosphere by having dance classes in the main area. (Carnival Victory has a real dance atmosphere on the deck and they have a real dance nightclub (club arctic). Norweigan had a couple lounges that I barely saw anyone in. They also had a teen lounge "entourage" --didn't see many there.
8. I couldn't believe that for this to be a new ship, it was not as beautiful as the old ship I got on the next day that was the Carnival Victory. My cabin on the victory was old, but the ship itself had a "Wow" factor to it and we took more pictures on it and participated more in the fun activities. We are not "party animals" but we didn't want complete boredom either (Norweigan getaway). We also did not want to be around a bunch of screaming babies and kids--strollers everywhere etc. I was surprised to see all this on the Getaway. It's great for families with kids.
9. They charge $10 for a glass of wine and will not fill the glass
10. I met several people on the Norweigan Getaway who thought the ship was new and nice, but they wouldn't pay to sail it again.
***This is my own subjective experience. You may feel differently. I found the ship to be insulting with their fees for every small thing and limits on the complimentary food included in the price, given all the restaurants on this ship. I think they should increase the price of the cruise and provide 24hr. room service and provide free pizza, and other petty fees..also there should be versatility in music like there is on Carnival that caters to different groups of people. The ship had a variety types of people, but it mostly caters to latin music and techno only.