Is it worth it to buy a cruise line drink package?
You may have noticed that cruise lines offer drink packages and wondered whether they’re a good deal. The answer is simple but requires some math on your part: It depends on how many drinks you typically consume in a day. Here is a breakdown of what each cruise line offers, from water to soda, beer, wine, and liquor. Check it out, and then divide the package price by the cost of individual drinks to see how many you have to order a day before the savings kick in:
Non-Alcoholic: Premium bottled water package: $8.95 per person/day
- Wine valued at $50 per bottle or less: 5 bottles for $180, 7 bottles for $235, 10 bottles for $315, and 12 bottles for $350.
- Wine valued at $51 to $75 per bottle: 5 bottles for $315, 7 bottles for $415, 10 bottles for $560, and 12 bottles for $630.
- Beer: Select list of beers included in the cruise fare.
- Liquor: Select standard spirits, international beers and wines, bottled water, soft drinks, specialty coffees and teas are included. Premium package unlimited select cocktails and beer for $15.95/person/day. Ultimate package is unlimited cocktails and beer plus top-shelf brands for $21.95/person/day.
Non-Alcoholic: Bottomless Bubbles Package: Unlimited soda and juice for $7.50/person/day; age 17 and under for $4.95/person/day
Alcoholic: The Carnival cruise drink package is called Cheers!, and includes: All wine, beer, champagne, spirits, soda, juices, specialty coffee, tea, energy drinks, bottled water, and milkshakes for $51.95/person/day if purchased before the cruise, or $56.95 if purchased once onboard. Bottles of wine and champagne receive 25% off.
- Water: Unlimited premium bottles for $6/person/day
- Soda: Unlimited fountain and canned for $9/person/day
- Classic: Soda, juice, premium coffees and teas, and non-premium bottled water for $18/person/day
- Premium: The premium Celebrity Cruises drink package includes everything in Classic plus smoothies, frozen and energy drinks, Perrier, San Pellegrino, Vitamin Water, organic tea, coconut water, as well as premium bottled water for $22/person/day.
- Standard: Select beers, popular wines, bottled water, fountain soda, well brand spirits, cocktails, and frozen drinks up to $6 per serving plus 10% off bottles of wine for $45/person/day
- Classic: Premium coffee, bottled water, soda, juices, non-premium wine, beer, cocktails, spirits, and liquor up to $9 per serving plus 15% off bottles of wine for $55/person/day
- Premium: Everything in Classic plus premium spirits, cocktails, wines, craft beers, and energy drinks plus 20% off bottles of wine for $69/person/day
Non-Alcoholic: Prices for Costa cruise drink packages vary by ship and itinerary.
- Giovani Package: Unlimited for ages 4-20 and includes soda, specialty coffees, smoothies, juice, and hot chocolate.
- Pranzo & Cena Giovani Package: Unlimited for ages 4-20 and includes soda and mineral water. Both packages must be purchased with the packages for parents; they’re not sold individually.
Alcoholic: Prices vary by ship and itinerary.
- Pranzo & Cena: unlimited wine, beer, and soda during lunch and dinner
- Brindiamo: unlimited specialty coffees, soda, beers, wines, liquors, and popular cocktails
- Piu Gusto: everything in Brindiamo plus frozen drinks, mixed drinks, and a wider selection of cocktails
- Intenditore: everything in Piu Gusto, plus drinks from the stateroom mini bar and room service, champagne, and premium liquor
Most beverages are already included in the price of the cruise.
- Soda: Unlimited soda and select juice for $6.50/person/day. This package can be purchased once onboard.
- Coffee: A coffee card costs $40 and will include 10 regular coffees (no specialty)
- Captain’s Collection: 4 bottles of wine for $175, 6 bottles for $260, 9 bottles for $380, and 12 bottles for $495
- Commodore’s Collection: 4 bottles of wine for $250, 6 bottles for $360, 9 bottles for $525, and 12 bottles for $660
The Disney cruise drink packages aren't the traditional beverage packages you'll see on many other cruise lines. Instead of seemingly unlimited drinks, you are paying for a set amount of bottles.
Non-Alcoholic: Water: 6 bottles for $9.75 or 24 for $39
- Classic Wine: 3 bottles for $95, 4 for $124, 5 for $149, and 7 for $199. Premium: 3 bottles for $145, 4 for $192, 5 for $234, and 7 for $309
- Beer: 6-pack of domestic for $30 or imported for $43.25. Beer mug package costs $14.95 with discounted refills.
- Coca-Cola Package: fountaion soda products for $8/person/day
- Quench Package: Drinks such as specialty coffees, nonalcoholic cocktails, nonalcoholic beer, and juices for $17.95/person/day
- Signature Package: A variety of wines, beers, cocktails, spirits, coffee, soda, and other beverages worth up to $8 per glass for $44.95/person/day when bought in advance ($49.95/person/day if bought onboard)
- Elite Beverage Package: Any premium spirits, cocktails, beers, wines, coffees, nonalcoholic beverages, bottled water, and sodas up to a value of $15 each. Aboard Koningsdam, it also includes the Coca-Cola Freestyle soda machine for $54.95/person/day
- Cellar Masters Package: 5 bottles of wine, a standard wine-tasting, a premium wine-tasting, one dinner at Pinnacle Grill, a wine accessory set, and a Holland America commemorative bottle of wine, prices begin at $252 per person
Some packages can vary in price depending on ship and itinerary. In addition to these packages are vouchers for various amounts of drinks that can be purchased one time, instead of paying a per-day amount. Visit MSC's website for more details on those. Note that with children's packages, they must be purchased in conjunction with the corresponding adult package.
- Water: 14 bottles of mineral water for $33-$37
- Coffee Package on Mediterranean cruises: 15 coffee-based drinks for $26-$31
- Classic Child Package: Caribbean cruises are $23/person/day and Mediterranean cruises are $14.50/person/day for unlimited nonalcoholic drinks as well as take-away ice cream, except mini-bar items and water in the cabin
- Mealtime Restaurant Child Package: Unlimited mineral water and soft drinks during lunch and dinner for $10/person/day on 8-night cruises or less, $8/person/day on 9+ night cruises
- Restaurant and Bar Child Package: Unlimited soft drinks, fruit juices, mineral water, hot drinks, non-alcoholic cocktails, smoothies, milkshakes and ice cream from onboard restaurants, bars, and the buffet. $13.50/person/day on 8-night cruises or less, $10.50/person/day on 9+ night cruises
- All-Inclusive Deluxe Child Drink Package: Unlimited non-alcoholic cocktails, smoothies, milkshakes, soft drinks, juices, mineral water, energy drinks, coffee and chocolate-based drinks, drinks from the theme bar menus, minibar, and drinks and food from room service menu. The drinks included in the package can be from all bars, restaurants, and the buffet. $23/person/day on 8-night cruises or less, $18.50/person/day on 9+ night cruises
- Caribbean - Classic Adult Package: $47/person/day for cruises up to 8 nights, $38/person/day for 9+ night voyages, features unlimited drinks including select wines by the glass, beer, energy drinks and coolers, canned sodas, fruit juices, mineral water, coffee-based drinks, teas, hot chocolate, select spirits, liquors, cordials, wide range of cocktails, and take-away ice cream
- Caribbean - Deluxe Adult Package: $55/person/day for cruises up to 8 nights, $44/person/day for 9+ night voyages which features unlimited spirits including premium brands, liqueurs, aperitifs, classic and premium cocktails, wide selection of wines by the glass, draught and bottled beer, non-alcoholic cocktails, soft drinks, juices, mineral water, energy drinks, espresso and cappuccino, drinks from the themed bar menus, minibar, and drinks and food from room service menu. This package also includes 30 percent off bottles of wine and champagne.
- Europe - Adult Mealtime Drinks: $18.50/person/day for cruises up to 8 nights, $14.50/person/day for 9+ night voyages, features unlimited wine by the glass (our selection of white, red and rosé wine), mineral water, draught beer, and soft drinks during lunch and dinner in the main onboard restaurants and buffet. Does not include specialty restaurants.
- Europe - Classic Adult Package: $29/person/day for cruises up to 8 nights, $23/person/day for 9+ night voyages, features the same benefits as the classic Caribbean package.
- Europe - Deluxe Adult Package: $55/person/day for cruises up to 8 nights, $44/person/day for 9+ night voyages, features the same benefits as the deluxe Caribbean package. This package also includes 30 percent off bottles of wine and champagne.
Non-Alcoholic: Soda: Unlimited for $6/person/day for guests 12 and under, and $8/person/day for guests 13+. This Norwegian cruise drink package also includes a souvenir thermal mug.
- Wine & Beer Package: A variety of sodas, wines, and beers by the glass for $65/person/day
- The Ultimate Beverage Package: A variety of sodas, wines, beers, spirits, and cocktails worth up to $15 a glass for $99/person/day.
Non-Alcoholic: Soda, water, juice, coffee, and tea are included in the cruise fare.
- House Select: Unlimited champagne, wine, and beer with lunch and dinner for $40/person/day
- Prestige Select: Unlimited premium spirits, champagne, wine, and beer at any time for $60/person/day. Guests who purchase either package will also receive a 20 percent discount on any of the wine pairing dinners aboard Marina and Riviera.
- Bottled Water: 12 bottles for $6.90, delivered to the stateroom
- New Grounds Coffee: 15 espresso-based specialty coffees and tea for $35.65
- Soda & Juice: Unlimited fountain soft drinks, mocktails, juices, and hot chocolate for $8.05/person/day
Alcoholic: Unlimited wine, beer, cocktails, sodas, lattes, cappuccinos, bottled water, and more worth up to $10 each for $69/person/day including the service charge. The price for the Princess Cruises drink package on Australia and New Zealand voyages is $87 AUD/person/day including the service charge.
Unlimited beverages are included in the price of the cruise.
There is generally a discount on Royal Caribbean drink packages if you buy ahead of time online via the Cruise Planner, so keep that in mind when viewing the prices below; you may end up being able to pay less. Also, prices vary for each ship; these are the base cost.
- Coffee Card: $31 for 15 espresso-based coffee drinks
- Classic Soda Package: Unlimited fountain soda in any venue plus a Coca-Cola souvenir cup for $13/person/day
- Refreshment Package: Unlimited soda, mocktails, orange juice, bottled water, coffee, and tea, plus a Coca-Cola souvenir cup for $29/person/day
Alcoholic: The deluxe beverage package includes cocktails, beers, wines, liquors, bottled water, mocktails, fresh juices, fountain soda, coffee, and tea in a value up to $12 per glass starting at $63/person/day. Plus, receive a 40 percent discount on bottles of wine up to $100 in value, or 20 percent off bottles worth over $100.
Unlimited beverages are included in the price of the cruise.
Unlimited beverages are included in the price of the cruise.
Non-Alcoholic: All non-alcoholic beverages (except soda during non-mealtimes) are included in the cost of the cruise, including bottled water and specialty coffees.
- Silver Spirits Beverage Package: All drinks worth up to $15 excluding champagne for $20/person/day.
The packages also include a 15 percent savings on bottles of wine over $50, Armagnacs, and premium beverages. Note that beer, wine, and soda are included with lunch and dinner.
Non-Alcoholic: All non-alcoholic beverages are included in the cost of the cruise.
- Voyager's Adventure Beer & Wine Package: All domestic and imported beers, plus a selection of 20 wines by the glass worth up to $8.50/glass for $32/person/day
- Topmast Discoveries Beer & Wine Package: All domestic and imported beers, plus a selection of 33 premium wines by the glass worth up to $11.50/glass for $42/person/day
- Captain's Exclusive Beverage Package: Wines, beers, cordials, liqueurs, apertifs, cocktails, and mini bar items for $52/person/day
The packages also include a 30 percent savings on bottles of wine.
Updated on February 26, 2019.
Join the discussion
Do you buy all-inclusive drink packages?