April 2014 - Norwegian Sun to Panama Canal, Central America
We are frequent cruisers on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean, but this was my first cruise on Norwegian. We were shocked and disgusted by how terrible this cruise experience was. We were appalled. It was literally the worst vacation I have ever taken in my entire life. Do NOT sail on the Norwegian Sun- EVER. Every last part of this cruise experience- from the boat itself, to the entertainment provided, to the quality of the professional photographs, to the staff itself was several levels below anything I have EVER experienced on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, and now I have a terrible impression of Norwegian. We are fairly easy to please but will NEVER sail on this cruise line again, and just hope that this review will help others avoid making the same terrible decision as well.
A quick synopsis of things that needed immediate attention were:
1) Every single towel at the pool is discolored and has multiple yellow stains- this was absolutely disgusting
2) Our mirror had a giant crack on it at the bottom and needed to be replaced
3) Our shower was losing some of the caulking at the floor, which could have caused injury to anyone
4) Our shower was also rusting out- it was gross to look at
5) Multiple TV's in the gym don't work- the volume doesn't function, the remote doesn't operate it, the channels won't change, the picture isn't the right size, or it doesn't turn on - the machines also only allow you to use them for 30 minutes at a time, so if you want a longer workout, you must contantly reset them
6) There were frequently no towels in the towel dispenser in the bathroom across from the gym
7) The internet service was spotty- I bought a 100 minute package and frequently could not get online at all- the server was constantly timing out, and I wasted multiple minutes just trying to log on and off
8) The sports bar only has two channels- and TNT is not one of them- so we missed the NBA finals. How can you call this a sports bar if you only have two sports channels??
9) There were only two outlets in our entire room- and one of them was being used for the TV- so if we wanted to iron and use the hairdryer at the same time, we had to actually take out the plug from the television 10) Room service was not taken away from outside rooms in the hallway for hours and hours at a time so we'd repeatedly walk by multiple plates and glasses that would often sit out for 9 hour periods - this made the hallways smell weird and it was just dirty in general
11) Much of your food was not well prepared- we got food posioning one day- and it ruined our port day- I was vomiting for literally 6 hours straight
12) The power went out in our entire wing during a shower one morning and the entire room was dark, I had to stumble into the halfway in the pitch black in a towel- also not safe- trying to find out what happened- no one could explain this
13) Entertainment was entirely focused on an age group of 60-80- not one show or offering for a younger audience whatsoever (I understand on a 15 day cruise, the age group is older, but perhaps your booking agents should do a better job of advising a 31 year old that this cruise might not be appropriate. If you are below the age of 40, you will be entirely ALONE in your age group- avoid this criuse!!
14) Entire ship has stains on carpeting and was extremely dated- the entire ship looks like its from the 70's
15) Perhaps most upsetting- I ordered an anniversary package and then also a bottle of wine for our anniversary. Neither of these things were ever delivered to the room and I spent 2 hours on our anniversary going to the front desk, calling Guest Services, and waiting for them to get in touch with both the wine cellar and housekeeping- just so that we could get these things done. This completely ruined the surprise for my boyfriend, and when the wine was finally brought at 830 pm- which caused us to miss our dinner reservations, it was the wrong bottle, and we had to send it back. To imagine I paid almost 65 dollars for those two things combined- which made our trip worse- is beyond me. We barely received and apology for this.
All in all, this was easily the worst cruise ship I've ever seen. The boat is in need of so much repair, the crowd was way too old for us, and multiple aspects of this exerpeince was just downright terrible. We literally thought about getting off the boat and flying home from almost every port stop- but felt that would be too expensive so we stuck it out for the entire 15 days, but it was a waste of two weeks of our life. Pick something- anything- else for your next vacation.