Great food.great service. Too expensive. Got nickel and dimed to death. Shouldnt have to pay once onboard. Esp wifi and extras like pop. I racked up over 500 in expenses on the cruise. It is one big money pit.ship staff were very nice and attentive. Also had to pay 300 in gratuities in advance
.too expensive for my taste. Not very economical. Wont cruise again for a while if ever. Plus seasick in rough water. Didnt see any whales either
This was our first cruise and trip to Alaska and we found some pros and cons, mostly pros tho.
- Decent weather and only drizzles 3-4 days of the trip.
- Do the Gold Rush Sled Dog excursion in Skagway, so much fun learning about the Iditarod from a man that has done 5+ himself, play with dogs and puppies too!
- Alaskan Brewery tour in Juneau was great fun.
- Good main dining option besides the buffet
-3 decks/promenades to walk on and get nice views when going from one end to the other
-So many smiling and happy employees everywhere you turned
-Alaska's view and wildlife was beautiful
-Ultimate Drink package with 4 specialty dinning days
-Specialty dining was a fantastic way to try food we never had before, Bison steak, escargot, sword fish, duck breast, duck leg, wagyu beef and an abundance of desserts. With specialty dinning we could choose multiple appetizers or starters and not worry if we didn't like an option.
- We didn't get to see the Tracey Arms glacier due to ice, so they did a bit further to another glacier and we got so many great shots along the way and at the glacier as well.
- Plenty of shopping to do in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. (Didn't get off in Victoria, see cons)
- Jewelry and native art galore!
- Easy on and off at excursion ports and the last day of sailing.
- Easy off options where great, we got off quickly by carrying our own luggage off the ship.
- We found a new hobby, art auctions! They are fun, we learned a lot, found some wonderful artist and bought a couple pieces for ourselves.
- Other shows and entertainment was not bad, played silly gold one day, watched the magician another.
- Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan were basically the same for shopping, so we hit up local old saloons for something different.
- Unless you are tight on time getting back to the ship, do not buy excursions directly thru Norwegian. Instead buy it once you get off the ship from a local seller at much cheaper for the same thing. Gold Rush Sled Dogs with 40 below was only $45 each instead for us.
- The beds and pillows are horrible, extra extra firm bed with absolutely no support pillows.
- I gained 3 pounds, my husband gained 10 because of all the good food! Walking a lot helped, so did using the stairs or it would have been more.
- 7 days was too much time for us, by day 4.5 we were ready to be back.
- We didn't get off at Victoria, $12 each for shuttles. You can walk 1 mile round trip to the nearby warf easily tho, any true downtown attractions are several miles away tho. Plus the gardens and castle attraction would still require a taxi to do on our own, or an expensive excursion.
- We were not aware of the daily fee for the ship ( $189 total when we went) until a couple weeks before. Makes budgeting easier if you know this when signing up.
-Emarking took forever! Stand in line for 20 minutes to go thru security. Then stand in line for 40+ minutes to check in before even boarding the ship.
An experience and cost I wouldn't take back. Th likely hood of another cruise for us is pretty low, unless it is a short 2-3 day cruise ending with a land trip.
All of the stops were great. Both because of the views and the excursions that were available. And the views from the ship (specially the glacier) were just as amazing. The cruise itself however, was good, but it wasn't great. The food got a little monotonous by day 3, and there weren't too many activities to do while on the ship. (A couple good shows, but that was about it.) We got lucky in the main dining room and we're able to be seated with a great server. He was the reason we went back more than once. If only the ship could up their game, then I'd definitely recommend this cruise with no hesitation.
The cruise was a great experience! Most enjoyable and ports were very interesting with beautiful sights and friendly, welcoming people. Staff were excellent and friendly, food was delicious with a great variety! Travelers should be warned that cashing Travelers Checks is a problem at Guest Services....but not in the Casino (but Casino was closed on the last night!!). Also gratuities charges are confusing since we had a billing for gratuities prior to cruise!
Our travel agent didn't always respond to requests for information!
Enjoy the entertainments that include diversity comedy of Andrew Kennedy, Luminescence acrobats, magician, and the dancers!!! Housekeeping and waiters were very nice. We like to be able to schedule our dinner plan. Food is OK. Need more seafood variety from Alaska (i.e. Halibut).
We witnessed a passenger that had a hard attack at Spinnaker lounge (13th floor). There were lots of passengers at this event. The area did not have an AED in this lounge or on this floor. They had to go to 4th floor to get an AED. For Alaskan cruise with lots of seniors, NCL needs AED in every floor as well train waiters/workers on CPR/First AIDS and AED.
For my first cruise I was highly impressed overall. The room service was amazing the entertainment was wonderful. The only thing that I didn't like was the waiters in the speciality dining rooms were very rude most of he time. If felt like we were putting them out by having dinner.
This was our 7th cruise - 2nd on NCL - 1st to Alaska. The ship was beautifully maintained - the staff was helpful and friendly. The only negative I can say is that the bar staff has gone almost the other way. It was refreshing to not be bombarded for drinks every time we sat down, but it many cases, we couldn't find anyone to order a drink from. There has to be a happy medium. It's not really a complaint, just a comment. Embarkation was the best I've ever down. Organization at the ports was fabulous! We will sail NCL again if the itinerary we are looking for is available. Being able to eat where and when we want was terrific! Buffet area needs more seating....each time we were there we wandered for a significant amount of time looking for someplace to sit.
The 2 person musical duo "Cover Story" was very entertaining. The female vocalist was very good; the male musician played both piano and guitar. They did popular songs. Our 4 year old granddaughter danced to every number, to the amusement of the audience.
*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.