Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Good, but starting to slip

Sail Date: November 28, 2016

Hopefully R/C Grandeur is going to get a refit or makeover in March-April '17.  The cabin furniture, mattress, and wear items are starting to show its age and are in need of replacement.  Additionally, Grandeur needs a paint job badly.   As for our cruise, the cruise director was a drip and seemed to be disengaged.  It seemed like he would make his announcements twice a day, but was never seen around and about.  The ship's activities are sporadic and marginally interesting.  It's obvious that the main goal is to get you involved in one of the fee generating activities or into the casino.  Therefore, its imperative that you bring some enjoyable reading materials (my wife and I are avid readers). If you are a big reader, this is the cruise for you.  On other past Grandeur cruises, the cruise director was more actively engaged.

My wife and I really enjoyed the cruise; however, I would say the food was very average and uninteresting--I'd classify it as mid-grade cafeteria food.  Outside of the chocolate chip cookies/oatmeal cookies, the desserts were poor--not including the specialty restaurants.  The specialty restaurant 'Chops,' served up some tasty steaks, sides, and fantastic desserts.   The sushi restaurant was also very good.  It's too bad that the only way to get a truly memorable meal it to dine at a specialty restaurant at an extra charge.    Overall, a good cruise for the money, but the dining is really starting to slip!

Cabin / Stateroom Decent cabin, on the smallish side. Good location--close to the stairs and elevators
This is a readers' or bookclub cruise as free activities are sparse.
more comedy acts
mid-grade cafe food.

Rum Runners! Bring your own booze on board and save big bucks. Get the basic soda package and mix your own! Also, don't forget the two bottles of wine (one per passenger). Expect on paying $10/drink minimum on average.