We had a great time on our recent Carnival cruise. The best part for us were the islands and the excursions we chose for enjoying them. We booked all of our excursions through private companies, however, not through Carnival. We did a Segway trip in St Kitt's and an island tour and beach day at The Boatyard in Barbados. St Lucia was our favorite stop, as we did an island tour that included a beach between the pitons, mud baths, volcano and waterfall. The tour also included breakfast and lunch and all the drinks (rum punch, beer, soda, water) you wanted. In St Maarten we also did an excursion that took us to Orient Beach, Maho Beach and a market area on the French side of the island. We had great photo opportunities at each of the islands and so much fun.
The Carnival Sunshine is a very old ship and definitely showing it's age. The ship is extremely difficult to navigate, causing you to have to go up or down a flight and across the deck and back up/down to get to where you need to be. This got frustrating on several occasions. We also discovered that the ship was headed to drydock after our trip, meaning many of the crew members were headed home for 2 weeks. The service was far below our expectations and I think this probably had something to do with that; everyone just wanting to get this cruise over so they could go home. We did enjoy many of the activities and tend to make our own fun when we vacation. We did enjoy the Serenity area, however it was impossible to get any of the more comfortable seating options during the day. We did not like the new menu options in the main dining room, it seems the selections are more limited, especially for those of us that do not eat seafood. The cruise director staff was one of the best we have had on a cruise ship; Donkey and his crew were very energetic and entertaining, as well as welcoming.
I would not recommend this ship, but only because of the age and problems with navigating the ship.
This is a good value destination and ship for a quick 5 day trip. The ship is crowded
And lots of Kids. Reasonably priced. You will not get an extravagant buffet. However, you can also have pizza. Burgers and 3 specialty restaurant choices for a additional charge on the specialty. The night sit down dinners were very good and service was great. The nightly outdoor movies were nice. The loungers were hard to find due to the large number of people. On board pools were packed.
Entertainment was fair, I wish they had more on board programs. Overall, you will enjoy the cruise.
This was first cruise and I was totally impressed with how large the ship was and how comfortable it was during the times at sea. expecting it to cause motion sickness but I was completely surprised that there was no turbulence. So much to do on-board and so much food available, deck area could use some more shaded areas around the pool areas.
I went on my first cruise my senior year of high school and from the second I got off the first one, I wanted to go on another one. So now that I just finished with college and found a job that allowed me to take a much needed vacation after 4 years of college, I went on this cruise with a friend and we had THE BEST time!! The remodel of the Carnival Sunshine is absolutely beautiful. There are so many good things to say about it that I could sit here and type all day. The things I, personally, loved the most were:
- The variety of Dive-In Movies and availability of blankets to snuggle up with during the film! How cozy and cute!
- ALL of the food. Whether it was in Lido or the Dining Rooms it was delicious.
- Your Time Dining. This option is so convenient because it allows you to go to dinner when you're ready and won't interfere with any activities you want to do. It was the perfect option for us. The first night was a little confusing because you have to go to the Ocean Plaza on the 5th floor to check in then to the Sunrise Dining Room on the 3rd floor to eat, but once you figured it out it was no hassle at all.
- Guy's Burger Joint. It was awesome that these burgers were included in the price (and delicious!)
- The Carnival HUB App. IT'S FREE TO USE ONBOARD!!! Most people didn't realize that. While I didn't want to use my cell phone much (other than for music) during vacation, this app was extremely useful and didn't make me lose the "I'm on vacation" vibe. It was so easy to view the schedule for each day and favorite the activities you were interested in. There's a favorites tab, so once you've gone through all the events, click over to that and BOOM, there's your schedule for the day! You don't have to worry about charges from your cell phone carrier either because the app works through the ship's Wi-Fi (for free) while your phone is on Airplane Mode. Love, love, love!
- Half Moon Cay. Out of all the ports, this was my favorite. It was absolutely stunning. The water was so clear that when we swam out as far as we were allowed (probably 15 feet deep), we could still see the bottom. Insane. The day was so relaxing and since it's Carnival's island, they had food for you so you didn't have to get back on the ship. Loved everything about it.
- Epic Rock Show- This is the top rated show in the Carnival fleet--and for good reason. It was spectacular!! They sing songs you'll know and they sing them well! The technology is amazing, too! All of the shows onboard were good, but this one blew me away.
- Cruise Director Donkey- he's awesome, Australian and did an amazing job!
I hope that gives you enough to go on because I really could type all day. Definitely recommend this cruise to anyone looking to get away. I would hands down do this exact cruise again.
This is the second cruise I have taken, both have been with carnival. The first was on the Glory on which we had a balcony. Between the two, I felt the Glory was better. This time we stayed in an inside cabin. I traveled with my husband and 3 children (10, 7 and 1). The rooms were actually more spacious than I anticipated whereas I was travelling in a group of 5 (still very cozy, but they do a good job of fitting 5 people in a small room).
One night, our toilet did overflow into our room. Upon calling housekeeping, it only took a few minutes for someone to respond and be in our room, but it was too late. Toilet water had already began flooding into our room and soaked the carpet. For the whole night we were trudging through water to use our restroom. We also had to put up with a lot of loud banging outside our cabin while they fixed the issue throughout the night. The next day (luckily we were visiting an island so didn't spend much time in our room) they had a huge fan obstructing the entry way to the room.
The ship seemed a bit crowded at times (one pool for all the children to use, long lines getting on and off the ship, lines at the buffet, not enough seats at comedy clubs, etc)
The kids had a great time taking advantage of camp carnival. I would like to see more options for children under 2. Currently they are very limited to the hours they can attend camp. Although the Waterpark was closed at some points due to the weather condtions, the kids really enjoyed that. The staff were very courteous and attentive.
Overall, we had a great time and cannot wait to book our next cruise.
Our cruise on the Carnival Sunshine was fabulous. We have been on 14 cruises and this was the very best. The staff, our room and the food was wonderful. Thank you for helping us plan this cruise. The Port Canaveral port is so easy to get in and out.
*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.